What do I blog about?

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Jesus Christ Created the World for Me

  
We were having a really rough week. We all had colds and baby brother was the sickest. I was exhausted from being sick myself, from taking care of sick children, and only getting a few hours of sleep each night. To say I was feeling overwhelmed would be an understatement. Just when I thought things couldn't possibly get worse, the exterminator showed up (our apartment has a terrible spider problem). His presence didn't make things worse, what he told us did: We needed to leave for at least an hour because the chemicals weren't safe for the children. The sky was grey, we were still in our pajamas, my sinuses hurt, my husband had our only car with him at work... Where could we go? What could we do? I burst into tears and got the kids ready for a long walk... and it started to rain. Discouraged and defeated, I set out with my two babies prepared to suffer through a long, weepy hour. But, do you know what happened? The motion of the stroller lulled our sweet baby to sleep- his first restful sleep in days, and without me having to hold his heavy little self. The rain gave way to a mist and the grey clouds blocked what would have been a sweltering glare from the sun. While we walked, my ever curious toddler pointed out the bunnies, the rocks, the stream, the sounds of birds and insects; everything around her fascinated her! The wonderment in her voice refocused me and I looked up to the heavens with a thankful heart. I started speaking out loud as if to tell my daughter that those bunnies, those rocks, that stream, those incredible chirping, buzzing sounds were made by God- because He loves us, but the words were really for my own benefit. For the first time in a long time I saw the world through wondering eyes in all it's beauty, with all it's mystery and I felt such balance and such joy! I felt so blessed to have this safe and lovely walking path available to us; so blessed to breathe in fresh air and enjoy the vivid colors of the world around us. 

This experience goes so well with the lesson we were focusing on this week! I'm really grateful that we had this lesson on our minds, otherwise I may not have realized how great a world I am a part of and could have gone without the comfort I felt from acknowledging Gods creation this week. 

The Bringing our Children Unto Christ series continues: 

 30 Weeks to bringing our children unto Christ using the nursery manual found on lds.org.
Each morning, we begin our day with breakfast at the dining room table. 
Before we start our hectic day, we take some time to be still...
We pray together and we learn of Him.
In just a few moments a day, we plan to complete one lesson each week. 
I do not claim these lessons as my own, but I can testify of their goodness. 
Studying these truths together as a family has brought us all closer together,
and closer to our loving Heavenly Father. 
The atmosphere in our home when we start our day with a nursery lesson is one of peace and love.

Lesson seven is:

Jesus Christ Created the World for Me

How we learned about this, this week:

1. Sing about it: My Heavenly Father Loves Me (Music and lyrics here: Children’s Songbook
Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by, 
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I’m glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me.
:

3. Personalize it: Inspired by a suggestion in the nursery lesson, we created a book together this week. It is a 5 page book. Each page had a simple image of something God created and that our daughter is really interested in right now. She loves stars, animals, trees... Our daughter colored the pictures, one page each day, while baby brother looked on. Soon he'll be old enough to join in! 
 This lesson can be viewed in its entirety here: lds.org

No comments:

Post a Comment